Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Day 1 Nov 3 Tuesday


The Bobcat turned up today. I had just returned from letting Comcast into the townhouse to install the internet and was in the never ending process of packing up and moving furniture around. It was very exciting and a lot of fun. I was not expecting the work to begin today, and had to rush out to dig up my lilly bulbs when told that "some men will be there to prep the foundation". I hope they survive the transplant.

They removed the back fence and began tearing up the ugly square concrete. We probably could have gotten good use out of the planter for herbs but I never had time. The slabs were about 4 or 5 inches thick and probably 3 feet by 3 feet.

While the Bobcat was working, two men wandered into the backyard and started putting up the temporary electric pole. They were not very communicative. But the work got done.

The evening ended with all the concrete torn up and removed. I don't think I understood the scope of the space we will have as the dimensions on the drawings - the simple one I use to move furniture around on paper - gave me the impression that the hallway connecting the garage to the house would be longer than it actually is.

An unfortunate mishap was that the electrical wiring for the garage was damaged and we now have to open the garage manually. This is not a big deal and we would have had to address the wiring issue at some point.

Tomorrow, they will complete the removal of the old concrete - some bits were in corners and right next the the house so it will have to be done with a pick and shovel. The work was quite quick. It took them about 3 hours. I remember looking at my watch and thinking that D2 would be home from school soon and he might get a kick out of the Bobcat. Alas at 10 years old, he gave it a cursory look and I had to content myself with showing the next door Kindergardener and her friend the bobcat. Her friend was a little boy who stared at the Bobcat with love and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment