Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tuesday Day 43

I think one of my strenghts is that once I decide to take on a project, I rollup the proverbial sleeves and power through it, pushing all and any obstacles out of the way. Of course, one of my failings once I decide to take on a project is that I rollup those same sleeves and power over any and all obstacles in the way..

The kitchen is going to be done. I am not convinced it necessary but that is likely because I spend a great deal more time in it than any other human being in this household and I'm much more aware of the reality rather than the ideal.

"Why would I need a double oven?"

"Well wouldn't it be nice for the holidays?"

"I leave during the holidays. That's why it's called a 'holiday'"

We're going to re-use the upper kitchen cabinets in the garage, though I don't know that the bottom ones can be salvaged as we will have to tear up the granite. I've become rather fond of that granite, so we're going to attempt to salvage some of that and put that in the utility room. We're not going to be able to use it in the secondary bathroom as the counter top there is about 6" and the huge slab we have is just about 5". Personally, I'm not fussed about seam here or there.....

However, apparently the real cost of the granite is not the stone itself but the labour.

I've contacted the designer that Jeff recommended as we need it fast. And we'll meet on Thursday and get this sorted out.

I went to the builder's office and met with his highly competent manager who showed me a selection of granite and tiles. I didn't really like any but there is a huge difference between a 12 inch square and a counter top. Granite I didn't think I liked actually looked quite nice on a counter. They had a small sample of counter tops. I said I would prefer to use remnants as I did in my bathroom remodels. She got on the phone and called the fabricator to set up an appointment for me to go through the bone yard. Doesn't that sound positively deliciously ghoulish....

As for the tiles, I have an appointment next Monday to go pick some out. I really don't mind the remodel. The stress comes from having to have these choices. I'm sure some people embrace these opportunities. I just don't really care much for it. I once knew an older (ergo different generation) woman who lectured me that "the house was the most important part of a woman's identity and that's why 'we' take as much effort to make it beautiful"

I dunno about you but my house is just a place I live in and my home is where my family is. I don't much care for the bells and whistles that adorn many new million $ houses today, but I do ask them to pick their flipping c%&p off the floor so I don't trip over and break my neck. And to pick up their socks,for heavens sake.

Beyond that, I don't really think of what I live in as my "identity" and not being an overly domesticated individual, having to make choices between one finish over another strikes near terror in me. What if I make the incorrect choice?

What I do care about in no particular order is
1. How easy is it to clean it?
2. How durable is it?
3. Does it show dirt easily?
4. How much does it cost?

Steve from the tree company came over and we walked the front and back lawn. He gave us a very reasonable estimate to trim the redoak and water oaks and various trees as well as deep fertilise.

The electricians hooked up power to the temp meter and there was LIGHT!! It was very exciting....and they are going to drop the wiring into one of the old bedrooms for a tv outlet later. We also picked out a spot to put the cable wiring, though now that I think of it, I might hightail it back and ask if another spot can be used instead....

The ac inspector came....and went...and we passed inspection.

I better get back to the house now that I think about what I want to do with the cabel wiring...

No comments:

Post a Comment